[postgis-users] restore problems with postgis 0.9

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Thu Feb 2 08:24:58 PST 2006

Hi, Thomas,

Thomas Zuberbuehler wrote:

> I have a problem with postgis 0.9 to restore my dump file. I think the
> problem would be between the different version I used, but I need your
> advice and hope you can help me.
>
> First I made a test between my two computers and this would work very
> well. I installed postgres with postgis on tswo different windows
> computer. Both of them have the same win32 postgres 8.1 (postgis 1.0.4).

PostGIS generally needs some help on cross-version dump restores, and
AFAIK downgrades are not officially supported.

> psql:geonamendb.out:48: ERROR:  could not access file
> "$libdir/liblwgeom.dll": No such file or directory

This is one of the problems. PostGIS 0.9 uses libpostgis.dll and has
different entry points for the C functions.

Another point is that dumps from 1.X use HEXEWKB as format which is not
understood by postgis 0.9, AFAIK.

So I'm afraid this is not an easy task.

It certainly is possible, but will need some effort and conversion, and
maybe it is easier to update your target machine to PostGIS 1.1.

Markus