[postgis-users] changing a non spatial table to a spatial talble

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Fri Feb 3 09:58:12 PST 2006

I am new to postgis. I am running GRASS GIS with a a postgresql
attribute table which contains x,y coordinates and point data. I
would like to see if I could get this table spatially indexed. I have
postgis installed, but no geometry columns inserted yet.

Can I alter a column that holds at UTM coordinate from double
precision to geometry, or should I add a new spatial columns for the
x and y's and then copy them into the new column?

This is one of those, "I want to change a non spatial table to a
spatial table" questions? Can I alter this table in any way, or
should I start over?

Thanks,

Kirk