[postgis-users] Spatial intersect optimization

Josh Livni josh at livniconsulting.com
Mon Feb 6 13:51:34 PST 2006

I am fairly inexperienced with optimizing spatial queries in PostGIS,
and am trying to do something similar to the example 4.6.2.4 in the
documentation at http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html

It notes that this will be slow due to summarizing.  I have over 500k
parcels, and I'd like to do some summary stats in each of about 15k
polygons.

My question is, could the example mentioned above become faster if it
took better advantage of the gist indices?  or is it already?  How would
I go about adding some kind of 'AND the_geom && (bbox of m.geom)' to the
  WHERE clause?

Thanks for any hints,

   -Josh