[postgis-users] How to create a geographic view

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 08:04:44 PST 2006

> Hi list,
>
> I was trying to create a view of my map to access a wfs services. The
> problem is that we couldn't see it at Geoserver why ?
>
> Becouse I did a PostgreSQL view of my map.
>
> I need to know how to make a new postgis table view based on a existed
> postgis table.
>
> Any suggestion would be glad.
>
> Sincerely...

Hi,

You should be able to create your view from your gis table, then
updating the geometry_columns table to add information about this view
to allow external programs to be aware of this geographic view.

Use an insert command like this one to add a new entry in geometry_columns:

insert into geometry_columns
(f_table_schema, f_table_catalog, f_table_name, f_geometry_column,
srid, type, coord_dimension)
values
('', '', 'my_view', 'the_geom', <my_srid>, 'GEOMETRY', 2);

It worked, for example, in OpenJump.

Nicolas