[postgis-users] Partitioning spatial table

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Sat Feb 18 15:09:29 PST 2006

Hi, Arnaud,

Arnaud Lesauvage schrieb:

> I think I will first try to cluster on the Gist index.

Note: You may only CLUSTER on the non-partial GIST index. As the partial
indices cover only part of the table by definition, a table cannot be
clustered on them (as the Server does not know what to do with the rest
of the table).

> If I create a multicolumn index (with the geometry column first), would
> it be a better idea to cluster the table on this index instead ?

Only if most of those queries actually use that multicolumn index.

But I don't know wether GIST indices can be multicolumn yet, last time I
tried it did not work as expected. (But thas was for PostGIS 0.9 and
PostgreSQL 7.4, so it may be much better now.)

> Many thanks again ! I'll have another look at the docs this week-end ;-)

Don't work too much on the weekends, they're for recreation.

. o O (Hmm, it's 0:10 here now - time to obey my own recommendation...)

HTH,
Markus