[postgis-users] Partitioning spatial table

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sat Feb 18 15:13:04 PST 2006

On 18-Feb-06, at 3:09 PM, Markus Schaber wrote:

>> If I create a multicolumn index (with the geometry column first),
>> would
>> it be a better idea to cluster the table on this index instead ?
>
> Only if most of those queries actually use that multicolumn index.
>
> But I don't know wether GIST indices can be multicolumn yet, last
> time I
> tried it did not work as expected. (But thas was for PostGIS 0.9 and
> PostgreSQL 7.4, so it may be much better now.)

They do, but both components have to be GiST.  So if you want an
index ( geometry, integer ) you need a GiST index for integers.
There are btree-gist implementations in ./contrib of pgsql, but not
necessarily for all data types.  The other note is that I have yet to
hear of anyone really getting a great performance boost from this
approach, but I will wait and hope to be surprised.