[postgis-users] intersection and geometrycollection

Adam Quiney aquiney at refractions.net
Wed Jan 4 09:26:26 PST 2006

Hi Lia,

Have you tried simply performing the query in the postgres console?
Does the geometry you get back look valid?  One thing you might want to
try, just to ensure that everything is working as it should, is creating
a temporary table holding your new geometry, and then try extracting
that.  I know that I've run into a few problems with some of the postGIS
functions like intersection/etc. when trying to pipe them through to
another application (in my case, JUMP was causing a few problems when I
tried to display the result of an intersection function).

Something like:

CREATE TABLE temporary_geom_holder AS
SELECT intersection(a.geometry, b.geometry)
FROM blah blah blah...

will create the temporary table for you.

--Adam

--
Adam Quiney
Analyst