Antw: [postgis-users] load shapefile to postgis with SRID problem

Jürgen Mischker juergen.mischker at boku.ac.at
Fri Jan 6 02:01:37 PST 2006

hi kurt - using --srid is not essential for loading shp into postgis and doing some spatial analysis with these data.
in my oppinion it is only important while re-projection. you also can add/change the  projection  of an exsisting postgis relation using the UpdateGeometrySRID() function later on.

good luck
juergen

>>> mtrp36 at hotmail.com 06.01.06 0.38 >>>
Hi,
I am new to postgis and  have questions regarding SRID while loading
shapefile to postgis.
I have a shapefile which is Maryland US and I would like to load it to
postgis. What is the difference of using shp2pgsql with/without -s<SRID>
option? Is it only important while re-projection or it's essential for
creating database? Thanks

Kurt