[postgis-users] load shapefile to postgis with SRID problem

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Fri Jan 6 06:44:48 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:38:52PM +0000, K Kuo wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to postgis and  have questions regarding SRID while loading
> shapefile to postgis.
> I have a shapefile which is Maryland US and I would like to load it to
> postgis. What is the difference of using shp2pgsql with/without -s<SRID>
> option? Is it only important while re-projection or it's essential for
> creating database? Thanks

Not specifying -s<SRID> will assume a SRID=-1.
The -1 SRID is a no-srid value. Your geometry objects will be
slightly smaller (4bytes less each one), but they won't store SRID
value. The SRID is what you'll be using for reprojection. You can
always add it later using the UpdateGeometrySRID() function.

--strk;