[postgis-users] postgis account setting

K Kuo mtrp36 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:21:22 PST 2006

Hi all,
I got problems while running shp2pgsql with windows xp command prompt.
My command is like: shp2pgsql -D maryland_road.shp road maryland | psql
maryland
and got the message as: psql: FATAL: password authentication failed for user
"Kuo"
"Kuo" is my account name for windows xp. I create maryland database under
user name "postgres" which was created by postgreSQL while installation.
However, it does not appear neither on xp login screen nor user account in
xp. I tried to create an account of " postgres" which I can log in whith xp
and probably avoid above problem but xp told me that this account already
exists. It seems that there is no option for changing user name with
shp2pgsql command. Is there a way to run shp2pgsql under user name "Kuo"? or
how to avoid account restrict problem in the future?

thanks,

kuo