[postgis-users] unit

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 24 05:20:29 PST 2006

On 1/24/06, Gilbert, Antoine <AGilbert at korem.com> wrote:
> I don't know why, but some projection string don't have any unit
> specified..
>
> For example
>
> +proj=longlat +ellps=clrk66 +datum=NAD27 +no_defs

Antoine,

There are no unit designators in PROJ.4 for angular units.
At the API level angular values are expected in radians,
and it is up to the application to translate, usually from
decimal degrees.

All +proj=latlong coordinate systems should *not* have
a units specifier.

Note, it would seem reasonable at some point for PROJ.4
to be extended with a variety of angular unit specifiers,
but this isn't currently seen as high priority.

Best regards,