[postgis-users] hexagonal tessellation

Daniel Ricard ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Jan 30 11:47:21 PST 2006

Hello all,
This might be a bit off-topic, but worth a try considering the wide readership
of this list.

I'm interested in running an analysis that summarises geo-referenced data by
obtaining aggregate metrics on an hexagonal tessellation. That is, something
similar to S-Plus' "hexbin" tool which computes a metric for each hexagon on
a tessallated surface.

Has anyone ever done something similar, or could point me to a good source on
how to build an hexagon-based grid? It seems that it would be feasible to
build the grid as a series of hexagons and then use the usual geometry and
analytical functions to obtain things such as mean values and standard
deviations for each hexagon.
Cheers,

Dan