[postgis-users] Compatibility with PostgreSQL 8.1.2

Bert Hinrichs a.hinrichs1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 18:50:21 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Koormann" <frank.koormann at intevation.de>
To: "PostGIS Users Discussion" <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: [postgis-users] Compatibility with PostgreSQL 8.1.2

> Bert,
>
> * Bert Hinrichs <a.hinrichs1 at comcast.net> [060131 05:32]:
>>    I successfully download, installed, and set up PostgreSQL 8.1.2 for
>> Fedora
>>    Core 4 from rpms.
>>
>>    I attempted to use the PosgGIS 1.1.0 rpms.  It did a sort of
>> half-a$$ed
>>    install (read that somethings installed and some didn't),
>
> To improve the packages it would be helpful to know where the packages
> are from and what problems you actually encountered.

The PostgreSQL packages came from:

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.1.2/linux/rpms/fedora/fedora-core-4/

these packages have names like:

postgresql-8.1.2-1PGDG.i686.rpm rather than having the typical fc4 kind of
label I see on the rpms for the 8.0.6 versions currently at fedora/redhat
sites.

The PostGis packages came from:

http://postgis.refractions.net/rpms/fedora/fedora-core-4/

The problem was a Failed Dependency on PostgreSQL 8.1.1.  PostgreSQL 8.1.2
is installed.

>From the Yum screen:

--> Processing Dependency: postgresql = 8.1.1 for package: postgis
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: postgresql = 8.1.1 is needed by package postgis

>>    Everything I've read keeps coming back to build from the source, but
>> to do
>>    that, it appears that you cannot have installed PostgreSQL from a
>> binary
>>    rpm.  It seems that you have to have built PostgreSQL from a source
>> rpm
>>    because it appears that I have to unpack the tarball into a contrib
>> source
>>    tree.
>>
>>    Is this true?
>
> No. Since PostGIS 1.1.0 you only need the PostgreSQL development
> packages and can run configure with the
>
> --with-pgsql=<FULL PATH to pg_config>

Ok, but I assume that it would still take the srpm versions of the
PostgreSQL development packages rather than the binary rpm versions of the
development packages and it would still require a build of the source code
of PostGis and a manual install taking the management of PostGIS out from
under the typical yum tool.  Correct? Does the PostGIS build environment
have an uninstall capability in case it needed to be removed?

Sorry if these seem like simple or stupid questions, but I may have to set
up and manage about 7 of these installations.

Thanks,

Bert