[postgis-users] PostGIS server recommendations

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Jul 5 14:30:12 PDT 2006

At $1500, haven't you already blown your budget on the processor and
RAM?  Lots of RAM is good, keeps stuff in cache (remember to tune your
instance to take advantage of it).

Second best is fast I/O.  Get a number (4?) of fast spinning disks
(10000RPM+?) and put them into a RAID array (RAID5 or RAID10).  Use the
Linux software RAID to save money on a RAID controller -- software RAID
is plenty fast (faster than hardware RAID in a many cases).  The more
disks you have, the more disk heads you have, and the faster you can
pull data off the physical media.