[postgis-users] Newbie installation question

Øyvind Vestavik oyvindve at idi.ntnu.no
Mon Jul 17 08:31:02 PDT 2006

Hi all

I seem to have some problems with compiling with geos/proj-support on
a ubuntu linux box with postgresql 8.1.1. I think I have been following
instructions correctly, no compilation errors (as far as I can see), but
still can't seem to get support for proj and geos in my installation:

test=# select postgis_version();
             postgis_version
---------------------------------------
  1.0 USE_GEOS=0 USE_PROJ=0 USE_STATS=1
(1 row)

               List of relations
  Schema |       Name       | Type  |  Owner
--------+------------------+-------+----------
  public | geometry_columns | table | postgres
  public | spatial_ref_sys  | table | postgres

This is what I did to install postgis:

I installed geos and proj in default locations (/usr/local/)

Snip:
oyvindve at banditatwork:~$ which proj
/usr/local/bin/proj

snip:
postgres at banditatwork:/usr/local/lib$ ls
eclipse    libgeos_c.a   libgeos_c.so.1      libgeos.so        libproj.a
libproj.so.0
firmware   libgeos_c.la  libgeos_c.so.1.0.1  libgeos.so.2      libproj.la
libproj.so.0.5.0
libgeos.a  libgeos_c.so  libgeos.la          libgeos.so.2.2.1  libproj.so
python2.4

Then changed Makefile.conf to read the following
USE_PROJ ?= 1
PROJ_DIR ?= /usr/local
USE_GEOS ?= 1
GEOS_DIR ?= /usr/local