[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Marc Angelo computrain at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jul 20 22:19:32 PDT 2006

--Who are you?

Marc Angelo - IT Engineer, Trainer, Part-Time Developer

--What are you using PostGIS for?
We have written some Pocket PC software (HMX) to read/write maintenance data
to rfid tags (using an RFID SD Card) attached to asset's in the field. When
data is written to the tag GPS co-ordinates are taken from a Bluetooth GPS
and both the co-ordinates and the maintenance data are saved on the PPC to a
text file. The desktop application that comes with the software (RomaGIS)
imports the text file data into PostGIS (across a network if required - all
my testing was done over a wireless 802.11b connection). This allows users
to create maps in QGIS and view asset placement. RomaGIS also has a Franson
mapping component so users can also import asset "waypoints" into RomaGIS
and create maps using shape files.By clicking on a "waypoint" icon inside
RomaGIS users can then have an asset's maintenance history (stored in
another table in Postgres) displayed in a Grid.(www.romatek.co.nz) - we are
looking at importing the data into other databases for versatility but the
meat of our app has been written for PostGIS and that'll be the way it stays
as far as I'm concerned.

--Why did you choose PostGIS?
If I was being honest it was originally cost but the more I used PostGIS the
more I was impressed with the power of it. Being able to use packages such
as QGIS with it was also another major reason for using it.

--What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?
So far I have only used the Windows version. I have one installed on my
laptop and the other on a server....both work really well. I'll get brave in
the near future and fire up a Linux version to see how it goes

--What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?
Not a lot at all. It would be great if there was a book or two out there on
PostGIS. Not so much on installation as it was a piece of cake to install -
would like some books to appear on utilising a lot more of the functions
etc - several peole have been exceptionally helpful with some of the
problems I was having which was greatly appreciated but having a book might
have cut down on the number of times I bugged these people with newbie
questions.

Cheers
Marc