[postgis-users] Who is Using PostGIS? For What?

Brian Timoney brian at thetimoneygroup.com
Wed Jul 19 11:41:15 PDT 2006

--Who are you?

Brian Timoney, consultant, Denver, Colorado

--What are you using PostGIS for?

To feed front-end interfaces, most notably Google Earth and (soon) our own
Flash-based thematic mapping tool.

--Why did you choose PostGIS?

A ton of power at an attractive cost (No, I'm not being glib--the time costs
associated with getting up and running, interfacing with server scripts, etc,
etc. are real).  Also, the ability to easily have a web-accessible spatial
database has been crucial in creating client-specific demos with 'real' data
that can be test-driven over the Net in a friendly Linux/Apache/PHP stack.

A current theme in our work is demo-ing to clients the native power of spatial
databases to open their eyes to the fact that, really, the Oracle Spatial db
you've purchased can really do some advanced processing on its own (i.e.
without an SDE or GIS front-end).  A little ironic, I know.

--What makes you happy about your PostGIS installation?

We currently have copies installed on a web server (Linux), my laptop (XP Home),
a network server (Windows 2000 server), and a subcontractor has it on his Mac.
And it works the same on all.

As for the functionality, the ability to do spatial analysis 'on-the-fly' within
the db is very, very cool.

--What makes you unhappy about your PostGIS installation?

I've mentioned before to Paul that the experience for the first-timer can be
somewhat painful.  I know I would have paid $$$ for screen-cast tutorials on
basic installation, moving data in and out of the database, and SQL queries for
common spatial analyses.  In my mind, monetizing the product in this fashion is
quite fair since the potential time costs are significant.

Thanks,

Brian

The Timoney Group
518 17th Street