[postgis-users] label placement

Bruce Rindahl rindahl at lrcwe.com
Thu Jun 1 07:42:26 PDT 2006

OK I'll take this one ;)
I can assure you that PostGIS will NEVER give town labels that overlap.  It
will return the labels in a nice neat table, one per row.
Christo you seem to be asking how to place labels on some kind of mapping
interface.  While PostGIS is used extensively by mapping interfaces, it is a
database, not mapping software.
Check the discussion lists of the mapping software or interface you are
using. (Mapserver, GRASS, ESRI, Mapinfo....,?)
By the way, in my 12+ years in GIS I think this is probably THE most
difficult issue - placing labels.  You are NEVER going to find an automatic
label (annotation) placement routine that will work for all cases.  I am
sure you will find lots of suggestions on appropriate list.
Good Luck!
Bruce Rindahl