[postgis-users] length and area in the schema

Emilia Venturato venturato at faunalia.it
Mon Jun 19 23:07:55 PDT 2006

Alle 02:54, lunedì 19 giugno 2006, strk at refractions.net ha probabilmente
scritto:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 02:53:20PM +0200, Emilia Venturato wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I use postgresql/postgis (PostgreSQL 8.1.4/ POSTGIS 1.1.2) on Debian
> > etch. I have database with schemas.
> > I found a problem with length and area functions when geometric tables
> > are in the schema.
> > It seems use different function for lenght where search_path is limited
> > to the schema.
> > I think this is misleading, as the user have problems knowing which
> > length and area (s)he's getting.
> >
> > Someone could help me?
>
> Do you think it would it help to have all postgis functions defined
> in the 'postgis' schema ? You can try this yourself by setting
> the first item in the search_path to 'postgis' before including
> the lwpostgis.sql and spatial_ref_sys.sql files.
>
> I'm actually not sure everything would work, but it's worth a try.

I think it's a semantic problem. Having two functions with same name is the
problem. User can set his db to include functions in a schema, but he must do
that in every schema he uses.
Maybe  a better solution could be to use different function name.
Don't you think so?
Ciao
Lia

--
Emilia Venturato
email+jabber: venturato at faunalia.it
www.faunalia.it
Tel: (+39) 347-2770007 Tel+Fax: (+39) 0587-213742
Piazza Garibaldi 5 - 56025 Pontedera (PI), Italy