[postgis-users] TopologyException : another example.

Guillaume Sueur guillaume.sueur at geosignal.fr
Fri Mar 3 09:21:15 PST 2006

Hi list,

I think I've got a good example of TopologyException too.
I try to aggregate my cities boundaries on a district field to get
districts boundaries. The geom of cities is valid (set as a constraint).
When I run the simple query "CREATE TABLE districts as SELECT
iddistrict, geomUnion(the_geom) from cities, if gives back :
NOTICE:  TopologyException: no outgoing dirEdge found (436814,2.01401e+06)
ERROR:  GEOS union() threw an error!

Taken individually, my district build fine until some specific case :
when a city and another one to merge with are only sharing one point. I
think the module tries to do a unique shape then, which gives a non vaid
geometry, instead of building two distinct parts.

What do you think ?

Thanks
--
Guillaume SUEUR