[postgis-users] Upgrading from PostgreSQL 8.0 with PostGIS 0. 9 toPostgreSQL 8.1 with PostGIS 1.0

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sun Mar 5 14:16:49 PST 2006

As of this moment, no.
But the benefit/drawback ratio of the change to hexEWKB is starting
to seem a little less compelling as time goes by.  The trouble is,
changing the canonical format involves changes in lots of other
places, because many apps (sadly) read the data directly instead of
wrapping them in formatting functions (like asbinary, or astext).  So
re-changing it back to a WKT derivative would cause another cascade
of application failures.
Not a nice choice.