[postgis-users] TIGER polygons, census SF1 blocks, and boundaries

phat-ass at thinkheavyindustries.com phat-ass at thinkheavyindustries.com
Wed Mar 22 21:41:03 PST 2006

I think you are going to have to import the completechain information
too.

Read Blasby's instructions on how to load Tiger basedata. I had some
problems with his instructions and had to work out a slightly different
scheme. If his instructions don't work I think I can walk you through
what I did. You're only using one county right now, though, I gather, so
it shouldn't be difficult.

With that data, you don't even need the polygon data, actually, unless
you are trying to draw the data with qgis or something.

Have you read the Tiger/Line documentation from census.gov?

You need to make a link between the completechain data to the polygon
data if you need the polygon data. It's a pain, I know, but the POLYID
field is, dynamic, and changes from one Tiger revision to the next.

There is an easier way of going about this, I think.

But to start, you need to load the completechain data and go from there.

This may actually be a lot easier than what I'm looking at.

What are you trying to do? Are you trying to determine number of houses
covered by antennae coverage block by block? And with that I would
assume you are trying to gather relative signal strength vs distance
from some tower or other RF source? Or some such...

You may not even need the polygon data at all. The complete chain may
very well be all you need.

phat