[postgis-users] Question about the postgis-1.1.0.spec file

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Fri Mar 24 08:07:49 PST 2006

Hi, Dante,

DANTE ALEXANDRA wrote:

> I am a PostGIS newbie and I've got a question about the
> "postgis-1.1.0.spec" file.

I guess you talk about a RPM/DEB spec file?

> In this spec file, the package "utils" and "jdbc2" are defined as
> sub-package of PostGIS.
> Could you explain me why please ?

PostGIS currently can be seen as four parts:

- The PostGIS server extension, to be installed on the server

- The loader / dumper and other utilities, to be installed on clients

- The jdbc driver extension, to be installed on java clients

- The documentation, to be read by humans

> If I compile PostGIS from the source code, from the
> "postgis-1.1.1.tar.gz <postgis-1.1.1.tar.gz>" file, do I need to add
> these sub-package ?

That depends on what you need to do.

HTH,
Markus