[postgis-users] Adding to Spatial Ref Sys table

Craig Miller craig.miller at spatialminds.com
Wed Mar 29 15:32:27 PST 2006

What is the "correct" way to add SRS definitions to the spatial_ref_sys
table.

I noticed that ogr only inserts the srid and srtext fields.  Are the other
fields required?  If they aren't required what is the proj4text field used
for.  Does it just improve performance by removing the need to determine the
proj4 string from the wkt string on the fly?

I'm assuming that by populating the auth_name and auth_srid columns that I
can essentially define a "shortcut" to my any new definitions that are
created.  E.g. I could specify SPATIALMINDS as the authority, and start
numbering SRS definitions at 1 and refer to it as SPATIALMINDS:1 just like I
refer to EPSG:4329 in various places.

Thanks for the clarification.

Craig