[postgis-users] Re: Status of geocoding functions in PostGIS?

Putler, Dan Dan.Putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 30 22:53:03 PST 2006

Hi Paul,

You might want to look at the PAGC project (www.pagcgeo.org), which
I'm a member of. PAGC is written in C and works with shapefiles. The
intention goal is also to make PAGC extensible so it can be used for
geocoding postal addresses in a number of countries. Currently it
works out of the box with TIGER/Line data and the new Statistics
Canada public road network file (that actually needs to be augmented
with additional information until it is really useful). The problem
we have run into is that few governments release address ranged road
network files (we only know that the US and Canada do, and all the EU
countries don't), so we haven't been able to work with anything other
than US and Canadian data. It sounds like you might benefit from our
code base, and there could be room for collaboration at some point.

Dan