[postgis-users] generating ocean

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Tue May 2 23:45:24 PDT 2006

For a good quality global coastline (shoreline) check out the gshhs
(full res version)
at http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/wessel/gshhs/gshhs.html

We have loaded this into postgis and use it for land masking of SAR
imagery, so
that we can detect vessel positions (ocean masking is the reverse). The
global consistency
and detail of gshhs is remarkable (better than VMAP0). For ocean
masking, we use the
approach just sent by Brent Wood (i.e. differencing with a bounding box
that is, in our
case, the SAR image frame).

Guido Lemoine