[postgis-users] Re: query access to NOTICE warnings

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed May 17 03:46:32 PDT 2006

Hi, Randy,

Randy George wrote:

>             I have a set of multipolygons with a few “not
> isvalid(geom.)” There are two types:
>
> 1. NOTICE: Self-intersect or Ring Self-intersect
>
> 2. Hole lies outside shell
>
>             Is there a way to write a query on the type of notice? I
> would like to separate out the two types of  “not isvalid(geom.)”
> without having to post process two separate redirected output files,
> stdout.txt and stderr.txt.

Maybe PostgreSQL 8.1 has some facility using plpgsql functions, at least
I know that they can catch Exceptions.

I don't know any generic way of catching notices into a query column,
however. Maybe the pgsql-sql at postgresql.org has some experts that know.

The other possibility would be to hack a modified version of isvalid()
that returns those messages instead of raising notices.

HTH,
Markus