[postgis-users] Problem with shp2pgsql - charachter encoding

Steven De Vriendt gisaalter at gmail.com
Thu May 18 08:36:55 PDT 2006

I have a problem using the shp2pgsql command. I've done some searching on
this and came across this
solution:

Postgis should support these situation, but needs manual build
so far (didn't automate it yet).

*The support is courtesy of IIDA Tetsushi.
*
*To try it out set USE_ICONV to 1 in the Makefile.config file.
You need libiconv around.
Also, if libiconv headers are not in the expected location
you need to manually modify shp2pgsql.c

One you have it build you'll have a -W flag to specify
encoding of the shapefile attributes, the produced output
should specify this encoding so that at load time pgsql
protocol will handle conversion to whatever encoding you will
use in the backend.

--strk;*
**
Can someone help me with a few steps ?

1) where's the location of the makefile.config - file ? I'm using Postgres
8.1.3 with postgis on windows xp and can't find it...
2) I suppose libiconv is an app to convert between ansi and utf ?
3) I suppose I have to use the shp2pgsql command with the W-flag ? but how
do I specify the -W flag ?

Thanks for your help !