[postgis-users] Problem with shp2pgsql - charachter encoding

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Fri May 19 02:20:01 PDT 2006

[mailto:postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Steven
De Vriendt
> Sent: 18 May 2006 16:37
> To: postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net
> Subject: [postgis-users] Problem with shp2pgsql - charachter encoding
>
> (cut)
>
> Can someone help me with a few steps ?
>
> 1) where's the location of the makefile.config - file ? I'm using Postgres
8.1.3 with
> postgis on windows xp and can't find it...
> 2) I suppose libiconv is an app to convert between ansi and utf ?
> 3) I suppose I have to use the shp2pgsql command with the W-flag ? but how
do I specify > the -W flag ?

> Thanks for your help !

Hi Steven,

Are you using the version of PostGIS which comes with the PostgreSQL 8.1.3
Win32 installer? If you are able to upgrade your database to PostGIS 1.1.2,
the latest Win32 installer at http://www.webbased.co.uk/mca/ contains
shp2pgsql.exe compiled with libiconv support to enable the -W switch. More
information about the upgrade process can be found at
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch02.html#upgrading.

Kind regards,

Mark.

------------------------
WebBased Ltd
17 Research Way
Plymouth
PL6 8BT

T: +44 (0)1752 797131
F: +44 (0)1752 791023

http://www.webbased.co.uk
http://www.infomapper.com
http://www.swtc.co.uk

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient
and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please
delete it from your system and notify the sender. You should not copy it or
use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other
person.