[postgis-users] Problem with shp2pgsql - charachter encoding

Steven De Vriendt gisaalter at gmail.com
Fri May 19 05:16:09 PDT 2006

Mark,

Yes, I'm using that version.
The shp2pgsql is running fine, the problem comes when importing the sql-file
in the PostGIS database with the psql command. psql returns a message:
Invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected....so I assumed that something went
wrong during the shp2pgsql excution. I've now converted the resulting
sql-file in a UTF-8 encoding using the save as option in...notepad. Running
the pgsql commando then went fine.
When displaying my data in Udig I see that some attribute fields aren''t
display correct. Geometry is fine. f.i. 9880 in an attribute field is
displayed as 9880.0000000 though I don't know what has caused that.

Can you tell me something more about the W-switch and how to use it ?