[postgis-users] Re: Newbie needs assistance

Randy Burkhardt randy.burkhardt at gmail.com
Fri May 26 22:56:15 PDT 2006

I am going to suggest you and your brother check out the Kubuntu Linux
distribution.  It is based on Debian Linux instead of RedHat.  I
recently switched to Kubuntu from RedHat and I am very pleased.  It
has a lot of 'out of the box functionality' so is relatively easy to
work with; so I am doing my trial installations of PostGIS on
postgresql-8.1.3; the installer Adept that comes with Kubuntu does a
good job of helping bring in all the programs and libraries that are
needed to make the PostGIS installation happen, and ends up being a
lot of fun to watch it work actually.
Kubuntu is Ubuntu except it uses the KDE desktop and windows where
Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop and windows.  Both equally good, I like
the look and feel of KDE; hence I chose Kubuntu.
Now some hints I picked up on this list and elsewhere:
http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch02.html#id2855095
http://fsiu.uwc.ac.za/gis/index.php?module=wiki&action=wikilink&pagename=PostGisInstallUbuntu
If you decide to give it a try or you wish to see my notes (I think
I'm a few weeks ahead of you on this) email me.
Cheers