[postgis-users] change shp2pgsql defaults?

Galen Ward galen at shackprices.com
Sun May 28 18:18:55 PDT 2006

I'm wondering if there is a way to change the geometry column's name in
shp2pgsql's output.  Our database convention is to store all lat long data
in a field called "the_geom" to keep the database speedy (minimize
projecting data) and to simplify structure.

Right now I'm writing code to import a .sql file, create a new spatial field
(the_geom_shp), populate that field with the data from the_geom, drop
the_geom, recreate the_geom, and populate the_geom by projecting
the_geom_shp to the_geom.  There must be an easier way!

Thanks,
Galen