[postgis-users] pgchip

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed May 31 02:08:52 PDT 2006

I'm finally taking a look at pgchip myself, so I can answer
this old mail.

pgchip is "stuffing". Moreover, it's using a "future" field
of the CHIP structure to encode extra information. This
clashes with assumptions present in the canonical input
functions of postgis that prevent storing more info then
barely pixel_size*width*height in the "data" field.
Pgchip is indeed adding palette informations as well.

Generally speaking, a possibility we have to "chipping"
could be similar to what we use for TopoGeometry.
The Raster datatype could be a complex type referring
to a set of relations that contain "tiles" informations.
In this case a CHIP would be a single "tile", possibly
composed by a single raster band.

Operations on such a complex type would be - ehm - complex.

--strk;