[postgis-users] build a SDB cache for Spatial Database based onpostgis and postgresql

Pedro Doria Meunier pdoria at netmadeira.com
Tue Nov 21 18:04:06 PST 2006

Mr Jackie,

It's obvious you're pulling out straws since it's apparent that you don't
have a clue how to even benchmark Postgresql.

Solutions are as good as the one who develops them.

My best advice to you is that, beyond asking for free papers/experience, you
should first take the time to experiment/study Posgresql and specifically
PostGIS extensions, know how to benchmark your own implementations and then
compare the same line of though with other products.

Speaking strictly for myself, my company uses PG/PostGIS *extensively* with
tables spanning millions of records and we still tip the hat to the
PG/PostGIS developers.

Robustness is a given as well as scalability and stability. In short,
PG/PostGIS rocks!

Building a SDB is more complex than you can now imagine and it's a
multidisciplinary task.

Tip: start with asking small questions (reflecting your
commitment/investment to PG/PostGIS). This group is a very friendly bunch
(and helpful) when someone asks specific/informed questions.

Sincerely,

Pedro Doria Meunier

(351) 91 302 49 72 - (351) 96 247 99 12

MSN - pdoriam at hotmail.com