[postgis-users] Newbie question #2 -- visualizing large datasets?

Pedro Doria Meunier pdoria at netmadeira.com
Tue Oct 10 14:29:40 PDT 2006

My two-cents:

I currently work with sets > 10,000 elements and postgis is steady as a
rock... even with on-the-fly reprojections.

If these are considered as 'bigger' sets... :D

I guess it's a matter of cpu/ram availability.

If this helps the ws where I usually work is a double-dual core with 4Gb of
ram and, err..., window$ ... (yeah go ahead and trash me! :D )

Also when doing re-projections a neat trick is already having a GiST of the
projection you target when comparing stuff (like degrees to meters).

Cheers,

Pedro Doria Meunier
(351) 91 302 49 72 - (351) 96 247 99 12
MSN - pdoriam at hotmail.com