[postgis-users] PostGIS configuration on WinXP issue using psql terminal

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 23:27:42 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 17:40 -0400, Tahir Tamba wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm a newby to PostGis and I'm getting some difficulties to setting up
> PostGis using the psql terminal. I installed Windows 8.1.4 compiled
> version from Postgres and Windows 1.1.3 compiled version from
> PostGIS.
> Using the example presented by Refractions on the document titled
> "Introduction to PostGIS" refering on how to create a table using psl
> terminal I get the following error:
>

> Welcome to psql 8.1.4, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>         \h for help with SQL commands
>         \? for help with psql commands
>         \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>         \q to quit
>
> Warning: Console code page (850) differs from Windows code page
> (1252)
>           8-bit characters may not work correctly. See psql reference
>           page "Notes for Windows users" for details.
>

> postgres=# \c postgis
> You are now connected to database "postgis".
> postgis=# create table points ( pt geometry, name varchar );
> CREATE TABLE
> postgis=# insert into points values ( 'POINT(0 0)', 'Origin' );
> INSERT 0 1
> postgis=# insert into points values ( 'POINT(5 0)', 'X Axis' );
> INSERT 0 1
> postgis=# insert into points values ( 'POINT(0 5)', 'Y Axis' );
> INSERT 0 1
> postgis=# select name, AsText (pt), Distance (pt, 'POINT(5 5) ')
> from points;
> 'more' n'est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
> ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.
> postgis=#
>

> I have been told that the psql terminal is configured to use the
> pager, 'more', so I should turn it off. Running the the following
> command on psql : \pset pager  the terminal noticed that pager is
> setted to Off.
>
> Any help about this issue would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Tahir Tamba

Hi Tahir,

(This is actually a PostgreSQL issue rather than a PostGIS issue since
you will see the same problem regardless of whether you query is spatial
in nature or not)

This sounds like a broken installation of Windows - more.exe is supplied
as part of a standard WinXP installation, and on my system can be found
in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. Could it be a permissions problem that is
preventing you from seeing the file? A good test would be to use the
Start Menu and navigate to Programs -> PostgreSQL 8.1 -> command prompt
and then try and bring up the more.exe help screen by typing: more /?

Kind regards,

Mark.