[postgis-users] [jdbc][datasource] use postgis through JDBC in Spring

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Fri Oct 20 01:37:12 PDT 2006

Hi, Nicolas,

Nicolas Delsaux wrote:
> Hi, is there anywhere a tutorial on PostGIS integration in JEE
> environments using containers like Spring or, even simpler,
> datasources instead of connections ?
> I suspect geotools provides a layer for connection, but will it remove
> the need for me to addDataTypes manually ?

You don't need to addDataTypes() manually if you either use pgjdbc 8.0
or newer, (this should automatically add those datatypes), or use
org.postgis.DriverWrapper instead of org.postgresql.Driver in your
datasource definition or the DriverManager call, and replace
"jdbc:postgresql:" with "jdbc:postgresql_postGIS" in the jdbc URL.

This all is explained briefly in the README in the PostGIS JDBC source.

Depending on your demands, there's a bunch of similar DriverClass /
DriverURL combinations:

org/postgis/java2d/Java2DWrapper jdbc:postgis_j2d:
// Read-Only, returns Java2D Objects

org/postgis/DriverWrapperLW jdbc:postgresql_lwgis:
// uses EWKB for sending, only works with PostGIS 1.X on the server side

org/postgis/DriverWrapper jdbc:postgresql_postGIS:
// uses EWKT for sending, compatible with PostGIS 0.X on the server side

org/postgis/DriverWrapperAutoprobe jdbc:postgresql_autogis:
// Queries the server for the installed PostGIS version on connection
setup, and choses EWKB/EWKT appropriately.

org/postgis/jts/JtsWrapper jdbc:postgres_jts:
// Uses JTS geometries for geometry datatype

org/postgis/jts/JtsGisWrapper jdbc:postgresql_JTS:
// Like above, but additionally supports box2d/box3d via org.postgis
classes.

The URL namings are somehow unfortunate currently, but should we ever
chose "better" ones, the old ones will continue to work.

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org