[postgis-users] GIST index create failure

Dave Stone D.Stone at ed.ac.uk
Wed Oct 25 09:03:09 PDT 2006

I'm trying to create a spatial index on a simple table with a geometry
column. I've tried doing this via the PostgreSQL command line and using
phppgAdmin. So for table 'loccoords' with column 'geom' of type
'geometry', the SQL is:

create index loccoords_gistix on loccoords using gist(geom
gist_geometry_ops);

and the result is:
         before or while processing the request.

Has anyone met this before? I have successfully created a GIST index
before (on an earlier version of the same table, with fewer than the
present 357 rows).

I'm running PostgreSQL 8.0.8 and PostGIS 1.0.6.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Dave