[postgis-users] GIST index create failure

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Thu Oct 26 00:45:39 PDT 2006

Hi, Dave,

Dave Stone wrote:
> I'm trying to create a spatial index on a simple table with a geometry
> column. I've tried doing this via the PostgreSQL command line and using
> phppgAdmin. So for table 'loccoords' with column 'geom' of type
> 'geometry', the SQL is:
>
> create index loccoords_gistix on loccoords using gist(geom
> gist_geometry_ops);
>
> and the result is:
>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally

Can you run "SELECT count(*),isvalid(geom) FROM loccoords GROUP BY
isvalid(geom)"?

> Has anyone met this before?

When we had similar problems, it was due to version mismatches between
libraries, fatal bugs in PostGIS and hardware defects / data corruption.

> I have successfully created a GIST index
> before (on an earlier version of the same table, with fewer than the
> present 357 rows).

We've GIST indices on tables with millions of rows, so that should not
be the problem.

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org