[postgis-users] Not able to excute spatial query on postgresql database with postgis support

vamsee movva vamseejump at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 07:00:29 PST 2006

Hello all,
           I am working with spatial tables  in postgresql with postgis
support. i have two spatial data tables, one represents the whole state and
another table represents the damaged locations in the state. My aim is to
find number of damaged locations in every county or parish.
Here i am giving the query i used to do this, could you please tell me
whether i am doing right thing or not.

"select count(*) from locations l1,county l2 where l1.the_geom &&
l2.the_geom and intersects(l2.the_geom,l1.the_geom) and l2.countyid= some
particular ID"

It gave some results, but i am not sure whether the query is correct or not,
I have one more problem with this query, this query taking lot of time
when some
particular ID ends with 9999(ex:220750501002999,xxxxxxx9999), do u have any
idea about this strange situation.

excuse my english and method of requesting for help if there are any errors.
Thanks in advance.
have a nice day
cheers
vamsee