[postgis-users] Instllation problem on WinXP

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 03:07:30 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 03:06 +0900, Akio Takubo wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a strange problem with PostGIS installer for Win32.
> Have anyone experienced these problem?
>
> In my case ...
> I failed install into only WinXP SP2 *Japanese* edition,
> when I tryed PostGIS installer with some environments.
> Some user also said that they have same problem with WInXP SP2 (Japanese).
>
> This is a list of my test environments and its result. All env are Win32 not Win64.
> * WinXP Pro SP2 (Japanese) failed
> * WinXP Pro SP1 (Japanese) success
> * WinXP Pro SP2 (English) success
> * Win2003 Server SP1 (Japanese) success
>
> I got same above result by all these installers.
> * pgInstaller(PostgreSQL 8.1.4) + PostGIS installer (1.1.3)
> * pgInstaller(PostgreSQL 8.1.5) + PostGIS installer (1.1.5)
> * pgInstaller(PostgreSQL 8.2beta2 with PostGIS 1.1.5)
>
> So there is no problem on SP1 or English ver or Win2003server.
>
> But at least I can sucess install WinXP SP2 (Japanese) following combination.
> * pgInstaller(PostgreSQL 8.1.4 + PostGIS 1.0.5 or PostGIS1.0.6)
> * pgInstaller(PostgreSQL 8.1.4) + PostGIS 1.1.3 (I built with Linux/Mingw32 envrironment)
>
> This error occured a runtime of lwpostgis.sql.
> One example error message is:
>
>    psql:../share/contrib/lwpostgis.sql;;35 ERROR:  could not load library
>    "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/lib/liblwgeom.dll": ( Error message in japanese)
>
> It seems that LoadLibrary API fails to load liblwgeom.dll with 998 (ERROR_NOACCESS) error.
> I thought that there is some compatibility issue (C++ memory managemnet related?)
> with WinXP SP2 japanese and current PostGIS build envirnment.
>
> Can anyone solve this?
>
> Best regards,
>
>    Akio Takubo @ OSGeo-Japan
>     takubo at saruga-tondara.net

Hi Akio,

The only reason I can think of as to why liblwgeom.dll would fail to
load under SP2 is that Windows cannot find a dependent DLL. The setup
used to build the installer is WinXP SP2 English, and as you correctly
note, the installer works fine under this setup.

A useful starting point would be to run the Microsoft Dependency Checker
(depends.exe) and FileMon (filemon.exe) on your SP1 and SP2 installs to
determine if there are any dependency differences between the two
versions of Windows - both of these utilities can be found using Google.
Posting any differences back to the list should help give a better
picture as to why PostgreSQL is failing to load the DLL.

Kind regards,

Mark.