[postgis-users] PostGIS + AutoCAD integration

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Sep 2 10:59:57 PDT 2006

strk wrote:

> Not vice-versa unfortunatly, until Autodesk will open up its DWG
format...
> (is Autodesk going OpenSource or the other way around?).

Hopefully both.

I really doubt that Autodesk will ever open up their DWG format because
of the nasty competition between them and the other CADD software.
However, I see some hope in the new SDF format (based on SQLite).  I
believe that the civil+geospatial verticals (Civil 3D, Map, MapGuide)
will be pushing more and more towards this format.  The difference
between the two sectors is market share.  Autodesk is extremely strong
in CADD, and there is no incentive for them to open the DWG format
there.  In geospatial, Autodesk has an extreme minority share, and it
makes sense for them to compete on interoperability.

Organisations that are already using ArcSDE and Oracle as their data
stores are able to bring in open source front-end applications, as these
have typically done a good job of connecting to proprietary data stores.
However, this strategy leaves proprietary applications firmly
entrenched, especially given that open source desktop applications are
still lacking in some important areas, like data creation and map
production.

The introduction of bridge software opens up an organisation's options
considerably, allowing them to continue to use proprietary applications
where they are required, but removing the need to maintain a proprietary
data store.  This allows them to move to open source in areas where it
is strong, like data management, processing, and web mapping.

FDO fills this bridge role for the Autodesk products.  I wouldn't be
terribly upset to see an FDO plug-in/extension for ArcGIS desktop
either.

Jason