[postgis-users] What's the Purpose of the Geometry_Columns Table?

Emilia Venturato venturato at faunalia.it
Tue Sep 5 06:36:59 PDT 2006

Alle 15:14, martedì 5 settembre 2006, Bill Thoen ha probabilmente scritto:
> I created a table using a 'SELECT * INTO ...' statement which contained a
> geometry column, and then I performed a few more spatial selections on it
> without problems. Later I realized that the geometry column in my new table
> wasn't referenced in the Geometry_Columns, but it didn't seem to matter. So
> what is the purpose of the Geometry_Columns table?

Geometry_columns is a table (OGC standard) that allows other apps  (Mapserver,
QuantumGIS, ecc.) to use postgis data. All standard OGC applications looks at
geometry_columns to have a complete overview of geographic data in your
database.
If you work only in postgis, you can forget about geometry_columns but you'll
find problems when you will use your data from other applications (mapserver
for example doesn't show geographical data if geometry_columns is not
correct).

At least, that's how I understand it.
bye
Lia

--
Emilia Venturato
email+jabber: venturato at faunalia.it
www.faunalia.it
Tel: (+39) 347-2770007 Tel+Fax: (+39) 0587-213742
Piazza Garibaldi 5 - 56025 Pontedera (PI), Italy