[postgis-users] Spatial indexes

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Mon Sep 18 06:59:45 PDT 2006

Markus,

> You could give us more details about your view and the
> queries typically runing against it, so we could help more.

James' problem is not creating or using indices, but detecting them.
SIS cannot discover whether or not a geometry column in a view has a
spatial index.  SIS can do this with a table using standard PostgreSQL
metadata, but not with a view.

SIS, when it encounters a table with a non-spatially-indexed geometry
column, or a view where it cannot detect the spatial index, presents
users with restricted connection options, to avoid, for example,
unexpectedly long redraw times when zoomed in on a large dataset.

As you point out, this is a PostgreSQL problem rather then a PostGIS
one.

Regards,
Martin