[postgis-users] working with PLSS: state-plane survey system coordinates

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 18:32:03 PDT 2006

Thanks for the tips Bill:

Working through some example data on paper I was able to come up with a couple
simple algorithms to accomplish this task. I have a working python script
which will lookup sections from a PostGIS table, quarter them, and write them
back to a new table with some new attributes. I will post the code as soon as
it is cleaned up a little.

attached is some sample output for a single township: sections have a unique
color, quarter-sections are labeled as such.

However, I haven't quite come up with a good approach to throwing out
triangle-like sections: other than a simple check for 4 'corners' : NE NW SE
SW ... although this seems to work most of the time, a more robust approach
might be better.

Cheers,

Dylan

--