[postgis-users] working with PLSS: state-plane survey system coordinates

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Sep 21 16:31:47 PDT 2006

The algorithm is in two parts. First you need to find the section
corners. In most cases this is pretty easy, but there are irregular
sections where, for example, a river cuts off a corner. When that
happens then it's anybody's guess where exactly the north, east, west
and south lines actually are. (If you had the surveyor's notes that
would be handy, but usually you have to make do with the data you have.)
But those are the gnarly exceptions. I deal with this by locating the
points in the section boundary that most approximate a rectangle, and
reject any sections that look more like a triangle than a rectangle.

The second part of the algorithm is to quarter the section. To do this,
find the midpoints of the section lines (use straight lines between the
corners unless you really like extra work), connect the opposite sides
with lines, and where they intersect is the section center. Now you have
all the points necessary to define a quarter section, so create a
polygon from that for the desired quarter section, and if you need to
quarter it again, just call the above routine recursively until you
reach the quarter and level you need.

Finally, if you need to locate something within a quarter or quarter
quarter section and you have footage calls (e.g. 330' from north line,
278' from east line, or 330 fnl 278 fel or 330 N 278 E), then you'd
better check the surveyor practices for your state. In general these are
due directions (go due south from the north line and west from the east
line) but the exact details may vary from state to state. Anyway to
locate the point, just translate the appropriate lines in the right
directions and the intersection is your spot.

- Bill Thoen