[postgis-users] Latitude and Longitude format in PostGIS

Giuseppe Molinario g.molinario at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 04:58:31 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the creation in PostGIS of a table that contains
information coming from a NMEA GPRMC text string. I get Lat/long coordinates
which are then put into their respective columns. A geometry field is then
created using the SRID # 4326 (WGS84 Datum - Geographic).

1. What format of Lat/long coordinates does PostGIS accept? GPRMC has the
coordinate in this format: ddmm.mmmmm.

2. How do I project the points into WGS84UTM33N? My final goal is to overlay
these points as a PostGIS layer on a webmap (Mapserver based) over other
data I have which is in that projection.

3. Do you know if Mapserver will re-project on the fly in my case? ever? or
do I have to take care of this in PostGIS?

thanks a lot - have'nt found really much info on these three points, but
maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

- Giuseppe