[postgis-users] [OT] Digital Freedom Expo - South Africa

Guido Lemoine guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Tue Apr 17 00:05:06 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Good initiative. But the postgis web site already has some links to use
cases.
We probably need (many) more of those, instead of fragmented info in blogs.

Good point as well wrt certification (Tomas' remark). Mature OSS like
postgreSQL/postgis and (web)GIS client modules could benefit a lot from
some official form of accreditation. We ape their software, so we may as
well
ape their certificates :-)

GL

Paul Scott wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 08:41 +0200, Tomas Lanczos wrote:
>
>> BTW, here in Slovakia an EDCL (European Driving Computer Licence or
>> what) exam is required for employees in state administration - it's
>> scandalous that in fact it is about using of MS products. Is it the same
>> in other European countries?
>>

> Thank you both for sharing this information! There are similar issues in
> many countries, and the only way that we can change that is to create
> awareness and use events like the Digital Freedom Expo to educate and
> work with governments and key roleplayers.
>
> I would like to invite anyone on this list to start a blog or share your
> thoughts on the site http://digitalfreedom.uwc.ac.za and let everyone
> know (Larry Lessig and Mark Shuttleworth have already mentioned it in
> their blogs) what you think. It is very important that free content and
> free software are made more mainstream!
>
> --Paul

Guido Lemoine
Joint Research Centre, European Commission
Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen (IPSC)
Unit: Support to External Security
Via E. Fermi, 1 TP 267 Ispra 21020 (VA), Italy
Tel. +39 0332 786239 (direct line) Fax. +39 0332 785154
WWW: http://ses.jrc.it
Disclaimer:
Views expressed are those of the individual and do not represent
the views of the European Commission