[postgis-users] AddGeometryColumn dimension property

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 01:42:52 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 18:31 +1000, Rob Agar wrote:
> Nicolas Ribot wrote:
> >> btw, is there a (concise) reference list of the geometrical data types?
> >>   I don't seem to be able to find one via google.
> >
> > Here:
> > http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/ch04.html#RefObject
>
> thanks, I found that one but it's a litle *too* concise!  For instance,
> it doesn't actually say what a LINESTRING is.  I guess it's a series of
> straight line segments joined together, but I hate assuming things like
> that.
>
> I can't be the first noob to be frustrated & annoyed by things described
> as "Well Known", without any explanation for those who don't know!
>
> Rob

Hi Rob,

Since PostGIS is based upon the OGC Simple Features Specification, you
should be able to find the information you need here:
http://www.opengeospatial.org. "Well-Known" is simply a reference to the
OGC's "Well-Known Text" format for inputting geometries, rather than
referencing the fact that the user should already know :)

If you want to browse the Simple Features spec, then the document you
need to look at is here:
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=18241

HTH,

Mark.