[postgis-users] Create LINESTRING with a LOOP

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 00:20:34 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 23:39 +0000, paallen at attglobal.net wrote:
> Mark
>
> Version: PostgreSQL 8.2.1 on i686-pc-mingw32,
> compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)
>
> PostGIS: POSTGIS="1.2.0" GEOS="2.2.3-CAPI-1.1.1"
> PROJ="Rel. 4.5.0, 22 Oct 2006" USE_STATS
>
> I am on Windows XP and my database is UTF-8.
>
> If I run my linestring function for a short
> interval  or few nodes, all works fine.  But if I
> run it for longer interval with more nodes, it
> returns and empty string.  And if I produce the
> most nodes I can and get a character string, that
> string will not produce a valid line from
> GeomFromEWKT().  Below I included a sample of a
> linestring that won't create a valid geometry
> (5723 characters). Original string didn't have
> line-feeds.  I added them with awk to help me read
> it it better.
>
> So what's up?  This is flustrating.
>
> thanks,
>
> Phil

Hi Phil,

So what you're saying is that if I just do a simple:

SELECT geomfromewkt(... <large linestring geometry> ...);

then it will fail using the example in your last email? I'll try this on
a Windows setup, but it'll have to wait for some spare time later during
the week.

Also, which client are you using? Can you confirm the same problem
happens when using both pgAdmin III *and* the psql.exe console
application? This will enable us to rule out a problem in the client
application.

We do honestly appreciate your patience. It looks as if it is somebody's
bug, but we need to tease out enough information so that we can
reproduce it to find out exactly what is happening in your case.

Kind regards,

Mark.